Frequently Asked Questions

We strive to offer the answers to the burning questions affecting you:

I want to let out my property, do I need to tell my mortgage provider??

Yes, if you have a residential mortgage you must obtain the permission of your mortgage provider before looking to rent out the property.

How do I improve the chances of letting out my property?

Your properties should be clean, well-maintained, and well decorated to increase your chances of finding a tenant. Properties without curtains, light fittings, smoke alarms and furniture indicate an uncaring landlord. Make sure that your rental property looks and feels like somewhere that you yourself would be happy to live.

Should I use a managing agent?

Managing agents create a professional distance between you and your tenants. They can also help take the strain out of dealing with un-pleasantries such as deposit disputes or rent arrears. If you decide to use a managing agent, then you should choose one which is a member of the Property Ombudsman (TPO) as this way you can be sure they will be up to date with current legislation, and provide an independent arbitrator should you be unhappy with their service.

How much rent should I charge?

If you are using a letting agent, they will conduct a full rental valuation for you. However, if you are managing your property independently, you should calculate an appropriate rental figure based on a variety of factors – the location, condition and size of the property and your overheads for example. You should look at what other similar properties in your area are on the market for. Obviously you want a healthy rental yield, but don’t be greedy as this may price you out of the market, especially in areas of high competition.

Why should I have an inventory?

An inventory is a comprehensive documentation of the contents and condition of your property. It is important you draw one up at the beginning of the tenancy as this is your proof should there be any dispute over damage at the end of the tenancy. It is also a good idea to take photographs of the current condition of the property and items in it such as furniture as further proof should there be any disputes. Remember to include outside assets such as sheds, gardens and the tools within them as well as household items.

Whose responsibility is it to insure a rental property?

The landlord should insure the property and any contents (such as furniture) provided with it. Get a quick quote on your property now. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents within the property – check out our great range of Tenants Contents Insurance here.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

You are legally required to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to any prospective tenant viewing a property. Failure to comply may result in a fine. The certificate ranks the property’s energy efficiency on a scale of A to G, with A being the most energy efficient and G being the least. Simple improvements such as double glazing and loft insulation can help improve your rating.

Do I need to protect my Tenant’s deposit?

Since April 2007, it is a legal requirement to register the tenant’s security deposit for Assured Shorthold Tenancies in England and Wales in an approved deposit protection scheme. Visit for more details.

Can I enter my property during the tenancy period?

You can, provided you give the tenants fair notice – usually at least 24 hours. Do not turn up unannounced (except in an emergency), although it is your property it is their living space, so always consider your tenant’s privacy.

What are my obligations regarding Gas?

A Landlord’s Gas Safety check must be carried out on a 12 month basis by a properly qualified engineer on any property which has gas appliances. Further information can be found on

What happens if the tenant damages my property?

The deposit taken at the beginning of the tenancy (or a suitable amount of it) can be withheld from the tenant to carry out any necessary repairs at the end of the agreement.  You should also get comprehensive building and contents insurance for each one of your properties to protect yourself against any permanent structural damage and loss or damage to your possessions.

Does a landlord have to pay tax?

Landlords are liable to pay tax on their rental income (whether based in the UK or overseas). You can find further information on this on the Inland Revenue’s website

What is the TPO?

The Property Ombudsman is an independent body to which Landlords can refer any complaint should your letting agent fail to address it in a satisfactory manner.

Whose responsibility is the TV licence? the tenant’s or the landlord’s?

It is a combined responsibility to ensure that the address has a valid TV licence, which one of you is responsible for the upkeep of this, is just one of the many points that should be covered in the tenancy agreement. However if you as landlord provide a television with the property then you are expected to pay for the TV licence, especially if it is in a communal area. 

Can a tenant change the locks without consent from a landlord?

Yes, however the tenant must return the original locks at the end of the tenancy and allow the landlord access as required.

What should I do if a tenant has left furniture in the property after they have moved out?

Possessions and furniture left behind at the end of the tenancy are still classed as the tenants and if sold or disposed of a claim can be made against the landlord.  The landlord becomes a ‘bailee’ when the goods are left behind and can only legally sell or remove them under the Torts (interference with goods) Act 1977. Landlords are not permitted to sell the goods for compensation against any damage Landlords are not permitted to sell the goods for compensation on any damage caused by the tenant or for any unpaid rent. You should keep evidence that you have done everything you can to contact the tenant and return the possessions, before using your judgement on what to do with them. 

Got a question you want to ask? e-mail our expert at

Hot Topic

The new tax year is almost upon us and now would be an excellent time to organise your tax affairs and to plan for additio...READ MORE

Diary of a first-time Landlord

Tenancy up for renewal

26 April 2014

We’re coming to the end of our first year as landlords. The letting agent has sent us a routine, and carefully timed, letter asking if we wish to continue letting and whether they should make a formal offer to our current tenants. I feel we’ve been very fortunate in finding a family to live in Mum’s house, who appear to have...READ MORE

Heard it on the Grapevine

UK’s only place to evade the six-figure average property price tag revealed!

Ask for a property costing less than £100,000 in the UK, and you are more likely to be laughed out of your ...READ MORE

Your Stories

I found 25 people living in my 2 bedroom flat!

I am fortunate enough to own five or six properties across the UK, all of which have thrown up different challenges. But probably the most unusual story I have to tell...READ MORE



Hints, tips and legal advice to help you have a great landlord-tenant relationship.

imageBDownload now


A useful guide for
property care and

imageBDownload now

Follow us

go facebookgo twittergo linkedingo youtube